Monday 6 June 2016

Performance (10th of May) Evaluation

I feel that overall the two performances on the 10th of my went really well. We did a dress rehearsal during the day, which didn't go very well. I feel that as a whole cast we lacked energy and it was clear to the the people watching that we weren't reaching our full potential. The volume was too quiet, because we weren't used to working in such a big space and hadn't adjusted our voice. The transitions between scenes were too slow and no one was coming on or going off stage with enough energy or purpose. This meant that the play dragged and there wasn't a sense of flow to the story. 

However, after having such a unsuccessful dress rehearsal, I think the whole cast was motivated to up their game for the real show. Having negative feed back from the dress rehearsal, gave us more of a reason to prove that we could give a good performance. The 4:30 show went well and we were much quicker and energised in the transitions. I feel that we were loud and the audience reacted really well to all the jokes and comedy happening on stage. It was really helpful to hear the audience laugh, because we had never done it in front of a full audience and I found that I fed off their reactions, which made my own performance better. I made a few mistakes in the dance, which was frustrating and I think I came out of character briefly as I tried to fix the dance. If this had happened again, i would have turned the mistake into something my character had done, instead of coming out of character and seeing the mistake from my point of view. The bow at the end of the first show was really messy and no one was watching each other, so we all bowed at different times. The end of the play is really important because it is the last thing the audience remember, so it has to be strong. I think that it let the rest of the play down, because it didn't keep with the high standard of our performance. 

The 7:00 o'clock show was even better than the 4:30. We took what we had learned from the dress and first show, so most of the weaker parts had been fixed. I felt that this performance was my best performance and felt grounded in my character. The dance went well, apart from when Sam lifts me, but we covered it p and just carried on without making a a big issue over it. Before one of our scenes, with all the girls, Chloe realized her letter from Longaville wasn't on the props table. We didn't panic, but found anther piece of paper for her to use. It was quite distracting for all of us, because before you go on stage you need to be quite, focusing on your breath and getting into character. This was the only part of the show that I felt could have been changed. 

Overall I was really happy with my performance. I made sure that i projected and had a strong physicality. If we had had longer to work on the play, I think it would have been good to make the ending stronger and spend more time on building our characters. I think that over we gave a very strong performance, which kept to a traditional Shakespearean style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment